Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Mumblings - Thomas Milligan (1856 – 1937)

My Great Great Grandfather – THOMAS MILLIGAN (2nd generation)
April 20, 1856 – April 2, 1937
My Mother – CHRISTENA (MacDonald) MILLIGAN
January 1, 1856 – August 2, 1940
The following is comes directly from Rev. Herbert F. Milligan’s 1960 issue of "Mumblings".  Thomas, my Great Great Grandfather, was the son of Thomas (1832-191). 

 “These two, the dearest folks in our family to me, are my father and mother.  And I don’t mean “WERE.”  They are still mine, wherever God has provided for them.
“They were good singers and the ancestors of many present singing members of our musical group.  At the celebration in Kennebunk, at my birthday party, July 19, 1958, just before we called it a day (few had returned to their homes), a good-sized group remained.  In it were Christena,Pampalone, Herbertha Goldby, Alice B. Tompkins, my brother William H. and wife from Sanford; Milton Tompkins, Dexter A. Milligan and several others who could sing.  And did they?  Too bad that many of you were not present to hear them.  Our neighbors on their porches applauded and everybody was happy.  When we were stationed as pastor-preacher at Clinton, Maine, 1911-1914, I purchased a copy of female classical quartettes, and trained our daughters to sing many of the selections.  They were in demand at many social events.  We never charged for their appearances.  Of course, I played the accompaniment on the piano and occasionally added a few strains with my own voice.  In that group were Christena, a strong low alto; Alice, a high soprano, could take high “C” clearly when needed, without a tremor; Herbertha, Mezzo-Soprano and Leila, Contralto.  Leila often sang duets with me while I was stationed in Portland and had a regular Thursday afternoon program on Radio Station WCSH known as the “BIBLE HALF HOUR”.  I never missed that program in more than 2 ½ years before moving to Randolph and Chelsea, Maine.  So these few thoughts only emphasize what I stated above, re father and mother.
“I remember singing with Dad and Mother a beautiful Anthem that began, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who bringeth good tidings.  Who saith unto us “THY GOD REIGNENTH, thy God Reigneth.”  And I often heard mother singing,
“The mistakes of my life are many, and the sins of my heart are more,
And I scare can see for weeping, But I’ll enter the open door.
Chorus –
I know that I’m weak and sinful, it comes to me o’er and o’er,
But when the dear Saviour shall bid me come in, I’ll enter the open door.”

“Dearest Mother, just a few days before she passed away in August, 1940, I asked her “Mother have I ever said a cross word to you or ever caused you any trouble?” and kissing me, she said, “No Bert, you have always been a good boy.”  Father and I used to argue much.  He confessed one day, “I often think exactly as you do, but, I enjoy taking the opposite view for the sake of argument.”  That was DAD.  I LOVED HIM.
FATHER WAS A SCHOLAR
“After completing his elementary and grammar school activities Grandfather sent Thomas to Dean Academy, Franklin, Mass for his preparatory work and Father became a Latin enthusiast and graduated with honors.  He often told me that it was his fluency with Latin that enabled him to get his entrance to Boston University.  Grandfather had always thought B. U. was just a college to prepare for the Christian ministry.  Thomas came home ultimately with a graduation diploma.  The local minister of the East Woodstock Methodist Church visited at the home a short time later and Grandfather requested Thomas to get his diploma and show it to the Reverend gentleman.  Thomas argued that a minister had often seen diplomas and wouldn’t be particularly interested.  But on the insistence of his father, Thomas got it and passed it to the minister.  “Why”, said he, “You told me that Thomas was preparing for the ministry.”  “He attended B.U. and graduated, didn’t he?”  “Yes, but this is a diploma from the Law School.”  That caused considerable talk and in the Fall, Thomas marched back to the School of Theology.
“He became assistant “Student pastor” at Bromfield Street Methodist Church.  And while in that position, attended, as a member, the choir of the Moody-Sankey Evangelistic Campaign.  There, he met my mother, and they became engaged and on September 23, 1877 were married by the pastor, who was later advanced to Bishop Malleleau of the Methodist Church.
“Shortly afterward, my parents located in Braggville, Mass. And established a small hot house business.  I was born at the home of my mother’s Auntie Knox in Everett, on July 19, 1878.  The Knox family lived on Broadway nearly opposite, what is now the Everett terminal of the M. T. Co. elevated line.  One night the Braggville house was set afire by an enemy and mother placed me on a pillow near an entrance gate.  The fire caused a total loss, and father has told me that he had more than 1,000 boxes of tomato plants all ready for the market.  The pillow on which I lay caught fire from the sparks when the roof fell in and a neighbor, rushing to the blaze, rescued me.
“My parents then moved to Everett and Father shortly became Superintendent at the West Works and of then Cochrane Chemical Co., later Monsanto.  Mr. Enequist was Chemist and father, because of his Latin, assistant.  Mr. Myrick was manager of a chief department.  I knew all of them as a lad.


“While employed at the Chemical Works, the town of Everett became the City of Everett, Mass.  Father was a candidate for the Common Council from our Ward #1.  He was elected easily, as an Orangeman of Prominence and Worshipful Master of Palestine Lodge, F. A. and A. Masons and after inauguration, was elected first President of the City Council.  Alonzo Evans, President of the Boston Five Cents Savings Bank was elected Mayor and Father got a bank job at Boston Five Cents on School Street and because of his Law School experiences was promoted to examiner of titles and in charge of insurance matters, also messenger for the bank in conveying funds to and from the National Banks, mostly the Second National.  He served for 48 years before retirement.  Among other jobs, he was for a brief period, during his bank employment, Major Commander of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company.  That job cost plenty of cash in entertainment and travel.  But he looked swell in his military uniform.  Upon his death in Hingham, he was buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery, Boston, in the family lot, after services at the Hingham Methodist Church and four years later the same program occurred, when mother passed away in August, 1940.  I was at his side while he was in a coma for nearly two weeks and awakened mother but a few minutes before he died.
“There are many fine things I could record of both Father and Mother.  I remember about all of the houses we rented before he finally purchased on 13 West Street, just behind the West St. Station of the B&M R.R. Saugus Branch.  And later purchased a beautiful colonial home on the 6-acre lot on Summer Street, Saugus.  From Saugus he later bought in Braintree and finally at Hingham.  He died from diabetes and refused at Deaconess Hospital to allow the cutting off of toes, preferring to pass away with all of his physical members.
“Mother gave birth to four sons and one daughter.  I am eldest; Henrietta Isabel, born May 15, 1880, lives at 5 Forest St., Manchester, Mass.  Dexter, married and joined the Navy.  He became champion twelve-inch gun pointer on the Battleship Missouri, while on a world tour under presidency of Teddy Roosevelt.  He was honored and feasted in many places but took a severe cold in Athens, Greece, and on arrival home was sent to Chelsea Naval Hospital and died.  He was interred in Saugus Riverside Cemetery.  Thomas Jr., was a linotype operator for many years and died at West Haven, Conn.  He is buried there.  William H. of Sanford, Maine, was a good athlete and won many prizes in city outings and picnics in many places.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea who the enemy was who set the Braggville house on fire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about the "enemy" who set the house on fire. It might have been another person dealing in tomatoes or if there was Irish Protestant and Irish conflict that created enemies. I did find some indication on the web of such conflict (copy this address and paste into browser: http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/immigration/irish5.html).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So weird about the 'enemy'. He talks about it so matter-of-factly, too. I feel like these days there are more repercussions for enemies who set your house on fire.

    ReplyDelete