Friday, December 16, 2011

Do You See 3 or More? Friday Fotos

As you know, I joined the Plymouth Digital Photographers (PDP) club last winter. While there are many group "Meetups", the club also puts out monthly challenges that you can do on your own.  One of the December challenges was "3 or more."  Here is the PDP description of the challenge and 3 photos (not more) that I published on the PDP website.

"This month's challenge: 3 or More. A good way to learn in photography is to give yourself assignments. This month you are challenged to take an image that has 3 or more of something. You are limited only by your imagination! Try a repeating theme from different perspectives. Pay attention to your backgrounds. Look for ordinary subjects in extraordinary light- there's beauty to be found around us every day. This is a great exercise to train your photographic eye to really observe the world around you. Take any approach that you like with this challenge, and post processing is fine. Look around with this in mind and see what groupings, patterns or repetitions you can find. Be imaginative and creative, look at everyday subjects with new eyes. You may use photos already in your archives."

These are the three photos I submitted.  Two are old photos and the last was taken for this assignment. I like my first photo, the second is so-so, but I really like the third photo.  I took several photos of this grass from many angles on a very windy day.  I like this one the best as the grass is crisp, the mill is visible in the background, and the color of the dried grass is very similar to the color of the mill in the background.  I don't know if this type of grass was intentionally planted here, but it reminds me of wheat sheaves which is appropriate for a mill.  There is a lamp pole between the grass and the mill.  I tried several times to find a good photo angle where the pole wasn't in the picture.  I still liked the results from this angle best.  I could have used software to remove the pole, but because it is in the background, I let it stay.

Rainy Day on Block Island (June 2007)

Fruit of Our Labor - 3 and More (September 2006)

Jenney Grist Mill (December 2011)

4 comments:

  1. Where'd you take the first photo? Is that Plymouth Center?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, nevermind. I see it was labeled. My eyes didn't adjust at first. It seems it was taken on Block Island in 2007. I guess my follow-up question would be, where's Block Island?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Block Island is between Rhode Island, Connecticut and Long Island. There is a ferry from Port Judith, RI to Block Island (there are probably other ferries). You can take your car but it is not needed if you have a bike. Obviously, you can rent a bike on the island or bring one over on the ferry. Beautiful place for a day trip, bicycling around the island. A bit pricey to stay overnight, although we went there in the off season and had a reasonably priced room overlooking the bikes/mopeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all cool, but I like that last one best. Very pretty. I like how it's all shades of brown/tan, but the textures are very different.

    ReplyDelete