Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Skeffington Family Update

After my postings on Patrick and Bridget (Daley) Skeffington and on Katherine (Skeffington) Dewey, I received two emails with new family information.  Thank you to Chuck M, Dee K, and Marie D for helping with my family history.  To all readers, if you have additional information or comments on my blog postings, please send them along.  I would love to hear from you and to add your data/comments to my family history.  Thanks again.

Chuck M, a relative through George and Mary (Hoar) Skeffington, wrote:

  • I came across your blog during a Google search of Skivington in Lowell Massachusetts. My GGGrandmother was Ann Skivington daughter of George and Mary Skivington. She married Thomas Francis Mchugh Sr of Boyle County Roscommon. This was Thomas second marriage and only had one child Thomas Jr. Ann Skivington McHugh passed away 6 May 1861 Lowell. Unfortunately St Patrick's cemetery cannot locate her grave. Thomas Sr. Married a third time eventually settling in Providence R.I. and had a large family.
  • My research indicates through Marriage records of Lowell that Ann had three sisters Catherine, Margaret and Eliza. I also believe that Michael and Patrick were their brothers. All were children of George and Mary Skivington.
Marie D and Dee K provided the following information:

  • Both the Skeffingtons and the Daleys from Lowell originated in the Catholic parish of Kiltomb and Cam in Roscommon. I think they were from the civil parish of Kiltoom, townland of Barrybeg, which is a few miles northwest of the Athlone.
     
    Bridget Daley, daughter of Patrick Daley and Winifred Heavey, was baptized in Feb. 1836 in Kiltooom, and she married Patrick Skeffington in Lowell on 27 Feb 1870. She died in Lowell on 9 Jan. 1911.  

    Patrick Skeffington, son of George Skeffington and Mary Hoare, was born ca 1843, and died in Lowell on 6 April 1903 [died in 1905]. He had a sister ELizabeth, who was baptized in the Catholic parish of Kiltomb and Cam, so he probably was also. 
     
    The Hoares, the Daleys and the Heaveys all lived in the townland of Barrybeg, Kiltoom, Roscommon. A townland is the size of a neighborhood - a few hundred acres.

No comments:

Post a Comment